2018 Annual Report Documents Changes in Medical Staff Credentialing
October 05, 2018
This guest blog post by Vicki Searcy, Vice President, Client Success and Consulting, from Verity, A HealthStream Company, announces the release of the 2018 Annual Report on Medical Staff Credentialing.
Why is this report important?
The report is important because:
- Medical staff credentialing and privileging is changing at such a rapid pace that it is difficult to keep up with what is happening in other healthcare organizations. We know that you want to know what other organizations do, how well they do it—and how quickly. In other words, you are looking for metrics about turn-around times, staffing, etc. This report provides you with this critical information.
- Secondly, there is a huge lack of available, credible data relating to credentialing. With few exceptions, most data over the years has been mostly anecdotal, based on too few organizations and lacking in some basic research and analytics.
- The report is based on almost 700 responses to a 70+ question survey and was researched and analyzed by staff with the appropriate qualifications in research and analytics.
- Verity consultants get asked constantly for benchmark data—that is how we are aware of the significant need for this data.
- Verity provides software to the credentialing industry and we want to make sure that we are meeting your needs both today and in the future.
What data does the report provide?
There is a section on the top ten key findings (with comparative information from our last survey, published in 2017). Additionally, there is a section on credentialing metrics, where you will find out what your colleagues are doing in their organization. For example, how long, on average, does it take to perform primary source verification on an initial application? You’ll find that information on page 29. You’ll find out that 18.5% of organizations have standardized their privileges across the health system (that’s on page 27). And there is much more. We hope that you will find this report to be of value and would appreciate any comments you might have about the findings.
And don’t forget – we will be doing this again at the end of 2018 so plan on participating in the next survey if you were unable to do so for this one.
The report was published on May 2, 2018 and is the result of a survey conducted of Medical Services Professionals and others responsible for credentialing during December 2017 and January 2018. Many thanks to Verity, A HealthStream Company staff Lisa Rothmuller and Mark Westbrook, PMP, Senior Directors, Client Success Services and Consulting, and HealthStream staff Randy Carden, Ed.D., Senior Research Consultant, and Robin Rose, MBA, Vice President, Healthcare Research Group who worked on this report.
While lengthy, with lots of detail about survey responses, the report is set up to be easy to review (lots of graphs and charts).
Download it here.