We are currently focusing on hourly rounding as a component of improving the patient experience. Hourly rounding is a structured means of promoting patient-centered communication in a healthcare setting between staff, patients, and their loved ones to ensure the best outcomes.
The Benefits of Hourly Rounding
When consistently and effectively applied, Hourly Rounding will:
Using Hourly Rounding for Results
Hourly Rounding should be considered critical to an organization’s commitment to patient centered excellence. BLG recommends following a process of:
Five Key Actions to Remember for Hourly Rounding
We call these the Five P’s. Many organizations use varying actions (e.g., 3 P’s, ICARE). What we find to be most important is not the name or acronym, but ensuring these five comprehensive actions take place every hour.
1. Pain - Ask the patient if they are having any pain. If they were recently medicated, ask what their pain level is currently. Discuss pain goals and options with the patient and family. Notify RN if pain not improving. “We want you to be as comfortable as possible.”
2. Potty - Ask the patient if they need any assistance going to the bathroom. “We will check on you every hour and address any needs that you may have.” “Your safety is always our concern, we will be happy to assist you to the bathroom.”
3. Positioning - Look at the patient. Pull them up in the bed if necessary. Turn their pillow over. Reposition them to enhance skin integrity. “We will constantly check your position to make sure that you are comfortable.”
4. Personal Items - See if all personal items are within reach. “Do you have everything that you need?” “I want to make sure everything is within reach for you.”
5. Privacy - “I’m going to pull your curtain (shut your door) for your privacy.”Contact HealthStream to speak to a solutions expert learn more about our courses related to the Benefits Of Hourly Rounding In Nursing.
HealthStream’s learning management system and comprehensive suite of competency management tools empower your healthcare workforce to deliver the best patient care.View All Learning & Performance
When you enact HealthStream's quality compliance solutions, you can do so with the confidence your healthcare organization will meet all standards of care.View All Quality & Compliance
Fulfill compliance requirements with a variety of programs and courseware designed to address critical regulatory requirements as well as educate staff to recognize and mitigate risks.View All Products
HealthStream offers professional training and education on how to best optimize your reimbursement process within your healthcare organization.View All Reimbursement
Improve the preparedness of your staff, increase survival rates, and cut costs with the advanced resuscitation training services from HealthStream.View All Resuscitation
Expand the decision-making skills and effectiveness of your healthcare workforce with HealthStream's clinical development programs and services.View All Clinical Development
Delivers everything you need to request, gather, and validate information about a provider to create a single source of truth for downstream processes.View All Credentialing
Make sure your healthcare staff can schedule out appointments and work schedules with ease using HealthStream's line of software solutions.View All Scheduling & Capacity Management