Healthcare Leaders: Take Action and Express Appreciation When Rounding on Staff
November 23, 2016
This blog post continues our series of patient experience best practices from the HealthStream Engagement Institute. We regularly share information that demonstrates our understanding of the challenges faced by healthcare organizations and the solutions we have identified for improving the patient experience and patient and business outcomes.
When rounding on staff, we suggest that you:
- Take notes/follow up on actions.
- Act on recognitions and opportunities for improvement.
- Set parameters for following up to identified needs; for example, “I will get back to you this afternoon with an answer.”
- Always appreciate the employees’ efforts, and thank them for any ideas or concerns shared.
- Reassure staff members that their voiced concerns will be kept in confidence.
- Build and share Stoplight Report.
Stoplight Report (Sample)
Here are some suggestion for ways you can close every effort to round on staff with an effort to express appreciation:
About the Best Practice Series
We are pleased to share the best practices developed by our expert coaches from the HealthStream Engagement Institute. This series of how-to publications offers proven techniques, key words and phrases, and processes to help you transform your culture to one of high performance.
Our Best Practices Series, based on employee-developed and employee-managed practices and programs, includes the following:
- Hourly Rounding
- Reward and Recognition
- Peer Interviewing
- Bright Ideas™
- Purposeful Rounding
- Words that WorkSM
- Service Recovery
- Standards of Performance
Our goal for this collection is to offer you even more tools to achieve extraordinary service and higher levels of performance excellence.
Learn more about the services offered by the HealthStream Engagement Institute.